It’s no secret that the holidays can be a trying time for both employees and employers alike. Between managing next year’s goals, preparing budgets, and stocking up on holiday cheer, there is often little time to devote to how best to support your team during the festive season. Fortunately, understanding just a handful of dos, as per Jay Holstine, will go a long way in helping you ensure that your employees are supported throughout this special time of year. Read on to discover our top tips for ensuring employee well-being during the holidays!
Jay Holstine Lists The Dos To Support Employees During Holidays
1. Provide flexible work schedules – The holidays are meant to be a time of joy and celebration, says Jay Holstine, but it can also be incredibly stressful for employees who need to balance their personal obligations with the demands of the job. To give your staff some much-needed relief, consider offering flexible work hours during this time. This could include allowing them to come in later or leave earlier on certain days, working from home when needed, or taking extra vacation days as needed. Doing so will show your employees that you care about their mental and emotional wellbeing while also helping them manage their responsibilities.
2. Give them a chance to rest – Working over the holidays can take its toll on employees’ bodies and minds, so make sure to give your staff time to relax and recharge. Offering a day off or even half-days during the busiest times of the holiday season can be incredibly beneficial for their physical and mental health. Not only that, but it will also help them return to work feeling refreshed and rested, which in turn will make them more productive.
3. Show appreciation – The holidays are the perfect time to express your gratitude towards your employees. Whether it’s through gifts, bonuses, or kind words, make sure you show them how much you appreciate their hard work throughout the year. This is also an excellent opportunity to recognize those who have gone above and beyond in their roles at work and let them know that they are valued members of your team.
4. Offer support – With the holidays comes a lot of added stress, so be sure to offer your employees your support when needed. This could include providing access to mental health resources or offering counseling services to those who are struggling. Offering a listening ear and understanding can also be incredibly important for employees who need someone to talk to during these trying times.
5. Create fun activities – According to Jay Holstine, creating an enjoyable atmosphere in the workplace is one of the best ways to ensure that your staff enjoys their time working over the holidays. This could include organizing team-building activities, having potlucks, or running competitions which encourage collaboration and connection within the team. Doing so will inject some fun into the workday and help create a more positive environment for everyone involved.
Jay Holstine’s Concluding Thoughts
The holiday season is a wonderful time of year, but it can also be stressful. If you want your employees to stay healthy and productive during this festive time, there are some things you can do as an employer to support them. According to Jay Holstine, providing extra resources like more PTO or hiring temporary staff can help reduce the workload and stress that comes with the holidays. You can also create a holiday Health and Happiness initiative that encourages employees to take care of themselves during this busy time. Finally, don’t forget to show your appreciation for all their hard work with holiday bonuses or other recognition programs.